You might already know from my past blog that I have a house full of rescues - two dogs and a cat to be exact, also lovingly referred to as the Kiraly circus. My pug Leeroy is like a cat, and my cat Jackson is…well let's just say he has the politically incorrect nickname of 'Taliban Jack'. Lucy the Rotty/Lab is the most normal, she only has a bit of separation anxiety, leash aggression and shadowing issues (normal is subjective right?)
Ok, for part one let’s start with the cat.
1. Velcro’d the living room lamps down to our end tables. Yes – I am serious, and it worked!
2. Removed all nic-nacs & anything I imagined myself crying over if it broke.
3. Removed all carpeting in the house when it came time to renovate. No area rugs either.
4. Made sure everything left out was heavy, like plant pots and our bedroom lamps which then don’t require Velcro!
5. Installed doors on our existing IKEA bookcase because he pulled the books out for fun. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S89017832/
6. He also likes to open sliding closet doors to trash the closet when we're gone, so we found these http://www.bedbathandbeyond.ca/store/product/kidco-reg-sliding-closet-door-lock-pack-of-2/1018220253?categoryId=22955
7. We replaced torn screens with squirrel proof screens and they appear to be Jack proof too!
8. He opens kitchen cabinets and pulls things out, or just sits in them, so I tightened the hinges.
9. Non-toxic plants only and the ones that I love must be in hard to reach places, otherwise he eats them and throws them up for fun or revenge, I’m not sure.
10. Tie up all window blind strings.
11. Jack likes to pull the cover and material out of box springs from under the bed, so we upgraded to a bed with under the bed storage drawers.
12. We put double sided tape on the lower portion of wall hangings because he tries to knock/pull them off the wall if we watch tv for longer than he deems necessary.
13. We have a cat tower/condo and toys as an alternative to scratching the couch, this is key!
14. All of our baskets are now synthetic or metal, he thinks wicker was made for claw sharpening.
15. Cat flap installed on the storage room door leading to the kitty litter to avoid him getting locked in or out. I did it myself, it wasn't hard.
16. All papers are promptly put away, especially toilet paper and paper towel.
17. Toilet paper must be placed on the dispenser hanging down towards the back not over the front for when he does the “toilet paper treadmill”.
18. King size fitted sheets make for an excellent couch “slip cover” and I learned a little trick to keep it in place by rolling up a magazine and wrapping a few rubber bands around it, and then shoving it down the back of the seat cushion.
Last but not least, get used to saying “You’re the reason we don’t have nice things” but at the end of the day, I would never trade this little prankster for nice things!